George asks: "In your opinion, what is the most effective method for tapping into freelance markets (besides subscribing to your excellent newsletter)?"
In my humble opinion the best way to do so is through these steps:
- Have two or three areas of expertise, where you are more conversant
with a subject than the general public
- Find the magazines that write on the subject in one form or another
- Study every publication and try to get a sense of what the editors are
- Write to specific markets. Don't write something and then try to market
it. Study the market and write for it.
- Give your material an interesting slant. Be original and unique. That's what
editors respond to.
- Be persistant and don't give up.
I think the most important thing is to prepare to sell to the market by doing
research, developing interesting stories, etc. Most freelancers make the
mistake of throwing their stuff out there hoping someone will see its mertis.
It usually doesn't happen.
Back to Sunoasis Blog
Back to Sunoasis Q and A
Keep up on the latest in e-publishing and other writing resources,
along with links to the best writing on the web by subscribing to
Sunoasis 2003. It's once a month in your e-mail box and free!
Just use the convenient box above.
Cyber Search will show
you where all the writing jobs are!
to top of page
New Job Links
*Disclaimer: I try
to get the best writing jobs
I can find but I
can't guarantee a job is still available. And I
can't vouch for the credibility of those who post
jobs. Use at your own risk.
Laughing Sun| Cyber
Oasis| Send a comment|