Avalon Travel Publishing is seeking writers to author four new guidebooks: Moon Handbooks Greece and Moon Handbooks Spain. We are seeking one author for each book. THESE ARE CONTRACT POSITIONS, NOT FULL-TIME OFFICE JOBS.
Professional writers are preferred. Authors must be able to quickly and clearly identify the key attractions of the destination and provide strategic planning advice. They must have close ties to and strong knowledge of the country. Authors must also enjoy research and be able to adhere to strict deadlines. ATP Authors are compensated with an advance and royalty. Moon Handbooks authors update their books every two to three years.
BE SURE TO VISIT www.travelmatters.com/acquisitions for more information.
To be considered as an author for these Moon Handbooks titles, please send us a proposal (email with attachment is acceptable) that includes the following information:
- The topic and geography of your book and its title.
- The reasons that you would be the best author for this book. Include applicable experience, education, and other materials previously published. Be sure to attach a copy of your resume and contact information for at least
three professional references.
- A description of all other books currently available that would be competition for your proposed book. How would your book be different? Why does the market need your book?
- An elaborate description of the contents of your proposed book. Include an outline, estimated length (we expect Moon Handbooks Greece to be about 650 pages and Moon Handbooks Spain to be about 700 pages), types of photographs and illustrations that you think it would require, and how they would be obtained. If you are submitting a proposal for a guide in one of our current series, the outline and other proposed content must match the requirements listed in our series guidelines.
- Ways in which you think your book could be most effectively promoted.
- The estimated time needed to complete your manuscript.
Please remember that the review process may take two to four months. Unfortunately, we cannot respond personally to every submission.
Address all correspondence to:
Avalon Travel Publishing
1400 65th Street, Suite 250
Emeryville, CA 94608
About Moon Handbooks
For more than 30 years, the award-winning Moon Handbooks series has been the top choice among independent travelers who want a unique experience, a new perspective—and a few new stories to tell.
The authors of Moon Handbooks are travel experts who provide a unique sense of place and insight into a destination’s culture, history, and social issues. Each guide contains not only detailed information on the best
transportation, accommodation, restaurant, and sightseeing options but also custom maps and fascinating sidebars—all the tools travelers need to make their own choices and create a travel strategy that is theirs alone.
About Avalon Travel Publishing
Avalon Travel Publishing (ATP) was formed in 1999 with the merger of three independent travel publishers—Moon Publications (established 1973), John Muir Publications (established 1973), and Foghorn Press (established
1982)—creating the largest independent travel publisher based in the United States.
ATP publishes several major travel guidebook series, including Rick Steves, Moon Handbooks, Moon Metro, Road Trip USA, The Dog Lover’s Companion, and Living Abroad, as well as individual travel titles.
Posted August 12, 2005; closes September 27, 2005
RETURN TO JOB POSTINGS
Keep up on the latest in e-publishing and other writing resources,
along with links to the best writing on the web by subscribing to
Sunoasis 2005. It's once a month in your e-mail box and free!
Just use the convenient box above.
Cyber Search will show
you where all the writing jobs are!
to top of page
New Job Links
*Disclaimer: I try
to get the best writing jobs
I can find but I
can't guarantee a job is still available. And I
can't vouch for the credibility of those who post
jobs. Use at your own risk.
Laughing Sun| Cyber
Oasis| Send a comment|