Location: Washington D.C.
Advancement Project, a national racial justice organization, seeks a senior level
writer/editor to join our communications team in the Washington, D.C. office. We
are seeking an experienced writer/editor to produce a broad spectrum of written
materials. A background in journalism and racial policy is preferred, and candidates
must be able to quickly develop sprightly, well-written copy. The writer/editor
will support the Communications Department with the development of content for publications
and other written communiqués.
Knowledge of how to develop and package information appropriately for different
formats is essential for this position. Enthusiasm for selling ideas to community
partners, the media and other audiences through writing is a must. Candidates should
also be able to prioritize effectively, work well under deadline pressure, and edit/rewrite
All candidates will be required to take a writing and proofreading test.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Edit and proofread all research reports;
- Develop web content;
- Conceptualize, write and develop copy for broad audience consumption;
- Provide editorial support;
- Identify needed organizational content and spearhead efforts to fill them;
- Development of professional, accurate & timely content for internal and external
- Outstanding writing, editing, and grammar skills, with a commitment to accuracy;
tone, and consistency in language that supports Advancement Project s brand;
- Strong interviewing skills and the ability to elicit key information is essential;
- Provide input into keeping organizational editorial style guide up-to-date;
- Manage and coordinate content review process with multiple stakeholders for all
- Prepare materials designed to raise awareness of continuing impact of race on society;
- Write newsletter content;
- Interview community activists and write about their struggles; and
- Develop white papers about structural racism.
- Bachelors degree required, journalism, English or other communication related degree
- Experience with Microsoft Office and Internet;
- Strong editing, proofreading, and writing skills;
- Ability to work independently and as a team player;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment;
- A minimum of three years' news reporting/writing experience, preferably covering
racial justice issues;
- Proven ability to identify timely, compelling topics for wide ranging audiences;
- Skill at meeting tight deadlines and juggling multiple tasks;
- Solid understanding of the fundamentals and ethics of writing;
- Demonstrated ability at developing and maintaining community contacts;
- Strong understanding of AP style and basic grammar and punctuation;
- Willingness to travel several times a year;
- Ability to work well in a highly collaborative, creative, fast-paced environment;
- Strong research, organizational, and communication skill;
- Attention to detail;
- Prefer an ability to frame national issues under the lens of race;
- Ability to work well under pressure;
- Adaptability and flexibility; and
- Fluency in Spanish is desirable.
We offer a very competitive salary and benefits package. Advancement Project is
an equal opportunity employer and actively works to ensure fair and equal treatment
of its employees and constituents regardless of differences based on culture, socioeconomic
status, race, marital or family situation, gender, age, ethnicity, religious beliefs,
physical ability, or sexual orientation.
This position is located in Washington, DC.
Submit resume, cover letter, two styles of writing samples and three references
Sabrina Williams, Communications Director
1730 M Street, NW, #910
Washington DC, 20036
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Posted February 16, 2005; ends
April 1, 2005
RETURN TO JOB POSTINGS
Keep up on the latest in e-publishing and other writing resources,
along with links to the best writing on the web by subscribing to
Sunoasis 2005. It's once a month in your e-mail box and free!
Just use the convenient box above.
Cyber Search will show
you where all the writing jobs are!
to top of page
New Job Links
*Disclaimer: I try
to get the best writing jobs
I can find but I
can't guarantee a job is still available. And I
can't vouch for the credibility of those who post
jobs. Use at your own risk.
Laughing Sun| Cyber
Oasis| Send a comment|